Saturday, October 20, 2012

Trip Report: Brook Trout Bonanza

People generally don't take too kindly to brook trout around here. Cutthroats and Bull Trout are the native trout around these parts and anything else is considered undesirable. As such I decided to head out to a local brookie sanctuary to grab a few late fall brookies for the frying pan!
I cast a few flies at 'em but decided for the faster paced spinning gear. 
 After fishing for some time the snowflakes started to fly! We had no issues with the weather due to the quality of the fishing. We kept 7 nice sized males and released a few dozen smaller males. All females were returned to fight another day.
 My buddy hooked into the big fish of the day, a feisty 17 inch brown!
After a quick drive home we carved up the fish, breaded 'em, and fried them up in the cast iron frying pan. These were by far the best tasting trout I've had. I probably won't be getting out too often for the next few months but stay tuned, I would like to do some "how to" tying posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment