Sunday, March 11, 2012

Trip Report: White Fishin'

Yesterday I got out for a few hours in the afternoon to try my luck on the mighty Flathead River. I brought both spinning and fly gear, deciding on which to utilize dependent on whether fish were rising. I immediately found a school of small whitefish rising for tiny midges. I only had zebra midges with me so I tied one on and set it deep. While gearing up a helicopter came flying down the river corridor.
 I hope everything is ok!
These are the type of spots you need to key in on when fishing from shore on such a huge body of water. You look for the same type features on small streams, but on larger rivers they appear proportionately larger.
This guy fell for the Rainbow Warrior.
This bug eyed little fella fell for a red flash trout candy zebra midge. I did hook into one trout but he shook loose after a short battle. Final score 15 whitefish 0 trout.

With temperatures rising and the fishing season closing in expect more frequent reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment