Saturday, December 10, 2011

Trip Report: Spring Pond Failure

Today I took a short exploratory trip to a local millpond fed by deep sandy blue springs. I could see the bottom in around 25-30 feet of water, but I failed to even spot a fish. I've heard that this spot was poisoned a few years ago and never restocked. I've also heard that there are brookies in the pond but they're hard to find. After work on Friday I spotted a few little fish rising in the river that flows out of the millpond, but that's closed for the season. This will be a great spot to fish with little time.
Obscured by fog, the mountains tower over this spot on a clear day.
A few small springs pour from the hillsides into the pond in this area. There's current from those and underwater springs which create some good looking feeding lanes.
I did a lap on the pond, casting intermittently, before I was chased off by freezing fog. The trees frosted, the pond steamed, and the air crystallized.
This is a winter mountain flower!

No comments:

Post a Comment