Friday, January 6, 2012

Trip Report: Spring Pond Success

As planned, I headed to a couple spring ponds in the southern unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest. I hoped this trip would set a good tone for the new year's fishing exploits, but as I packed the car I felt a slight twinge in my back. Not to be deterred I decided to tough it out. Armed with my brothers 3 and 6 wt rods, his vest, and a mixture of flies tied by the two of us I pulled into the first spot a little after 11:00.
What I saw as I reached the bank astonished me. Weeds stretched to the surface clogged by algae. The deep bluish gray spring fields which normally harbor copious amounts of decent brookies were green. I've fished this spot throughout past winters and have never seen any of it iced over like parts were today. I did still manage a few little ones.

 These four (and a few more) came on a sz 10 prince nymph tied by my bro. I also tried a partridge soft hackle and some midges with no luck.
 I wish more trout water had this regulation. Maybe one day this guy will grow up to be a lunker!
After fishing for a little over an hour at this spot I headed to another spring pond about 8 miles away. Right away I ran into an older feller who guided for a time in the Adirondacks. He showed me a handy knot to use for tiny flies and taught me how to tie bubble back midges. After chatting with him for a bit I tied on a red size 22 stripped quill zebra midge and got at 'er. I tried fishing it with an indicator but had trouble putting it in front of their noses. Then I lost the indicator and twitched it as close to the bottom as I could. This only produced two strikes, one of which resulted in a successful catch.
I sight fished the midge right past his nose and he nipped it! He didn't put up much of a fight but it was nice to catch a nice Wisco brownie.

What I learned today: Montana's rivers have left me spoiled!

No comments:

Post a Comment