Thursday, January 12, 2012

Trip Report: Too Cold!

Yesterday I received a call from a non-profit that I recently interviewed for informing me that I got the job! I planned a celebratory fishing excursion for the afternoon but I couldn't push myself to get out in the sub 20 degree mountain air. I decided that if I found myself bored at any point I would make the trip. I'm waiting for a shipment of hooks so I couldn't tie flies..so I decided to liven up my mobile tying box.
I had the fish outlined before I realized I didn't have the right colored markers! It was supposed to be a brookie. After this I couldn't find anything to do so I decided to give 'er a shot.
With bluebird skies it was nice to soak up some sun. I rigged up before I left and I didn't bring any other gear. In this spot I got one little nibble on a purple size 14 double bead cluster midge pupa. I fished it under a size 18 rainbow warrior in a tandem rig.
As I was casting I noticed tons of tiny little midges (sz 24?) cruising around the surface. I didn't spot any fish taking them off the surface however. While casting I snapped off my flies and thingamabobber. I'm not a fan of this brand of strike indicator. They leave kinks in the line, twist it up, and cause bad tangles. I'll have to get my hands on some biostrike, a biodegradable indicator putty that I've preferred in the past. After losing my rig I decided to take a walk, taking pictures and searching for risers along the way.
 I've heard that this stretch of the river has some nice pike in it. If this is true I'll be hunting them in this area from the kayak in late spring!
I plan on paddling to these bars in mid-late summer to chuck foam hoppers into the current. If I were a big trout I'd be hanging out here.

Stay tuned: I may head out for a few casts on Saturday if the forecast is correct.

2 comments: