Sunday, September 16, 2012

Trip Report: Flathead Fishies

This morning I packed up the kayak and headed to the Flathead for some good ol' fashion fishing. This time of year the cutthroats feed with a sense of urgency and today orange and yellow elk hair caddis were on the menu!
The first fish, a stout rainbow, came from a shallow current seam off a gravel bar mid stream. The river braids in this section so I planned to paddle to each bar in search of 'em. I only had to paddle to one and because it was so shallow I only had to wade between them. 
 These cutties are representative of the average size fish for today. I did snap off on two really nice ones and missed a few more decent fish...it happens.
By the end of my outing I managed around two dozen of these little fellers. Only two came while I was in the boat!
 All in all a pretty good day but I hope to tie into a massive trout soon...It's been awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment