Saturday, September 24, 2011

Some New Flies

I've been tying a bit in the last few days. Tonight I decided to go small and try some new techniques. I tied up some size 24 and size 22 zebra midges, a good pattern for any time of the year, however I only use them in winter. They are supposed to resemble the pupal stage of the tiniest little flies that rise off the surface.

The top ones are size 24! The bottom picture is of the size 22 midges drying out on the line. I also decided it's about time I learn how to tie with foam. The result is a more durable fly that is practically impossible to sink.

They aren't the best but they should work. I can't wait to try 'em out! Tying with foam is a really big thing here in Montana. I'm going to start tying hoppers and some other foam flies this winter. Stay tuned to see these flies in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment