Saturday, September 24, 2011

Trip Report: New and Old Spots, Complete w/ Bushwacking

Today the wife and I planned some recreational fun away from the water. She woke up feeling less than ideal but wanted me to go out and work off some energy. (I had too much energy to let her nap) So I got out for a short 2 hour trip on my home stream. With 17 miles of public water I still haven't explored the whole creek. Today I decided to stop off at the spot at which I previously pulled in a few browns. Then I wanted to check out some new water.
The new water required some bushwacking. But more on that in a minute...
First I stopped at my brownie spot. The rainbows were particularly hungry today and colorful too.
 But they are not what I was after. Using the sliver cone headed sculpin I prodded the bottoms of the deepest pools and runs. This method produced lots of bows, but no browns. I lost the sculpin on some underwater brush about 6 feet down in a deep pool. I tied on a UV clouser minnow and continued. This pool produced the biggest brown from my last trip here.
I cast into the current near the right center of the picture. The minnow drifted as I twitched it, stripping in line a little slower than the current. My line took off and I set the hook.
 This beast came from the depths to my feet in well under a minute. He looks an awful lot like the last one I pulled out of this pool...possibly the same fish?
When I released him he swam right in front of me and just kind of hung out. After a few casts my shadow passed over him and he took off. I then turned around and headed to some new water. I drove north about 4 miles and stopped at a spot that I always drive past. I got in the water and tied on a deer hair caddis.
This vibrant little brownie came from the tail end of a deep pool. From here on out I only caught more rainbows, although I missed a few strikes from some big fish (possibly browns). 
 These two average sized bows were really silvery!
After catching a few more of these I hooked into a beast of a bow in a fast run of medium depth.
This chunker must have been around 16 inches! He hit the caddis pattern off the surface and dove toward some brush. I steered him away and pulled him in. After a swift released I decided to head to another spot for a few quick casts.
This spot required a lot of bushwacking with little reward.
But boy were these fish colorful. This trip was a great little trout adventure. I pulled out at least 25 trout with most being around 12 inches. I discovered some new water, and most importantly I wasted some energy!  Now it's time to eat...

No comments:

Post a Comment