Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Trip Report: Fishin' With the Woman-Part II


At lunch I told the wife that I wanted to get out at least once this week. She said maybe tonight if the weather stayed warm. After work I asked her what she wanted to do for the evening and she excitedly proclaimed, "Let's go fishin'!" We decided to just head out for an hour or so. Last night I tied a few experimental foam hoppers and decided I would test them out on a nice, open stretch of stream where a few hoppers still survived the cool evenings.
This picture is from after the rainbows had at 'em! The fish didn't come easy though.
 I had to be sneaky but the fish were attracted to the big splashes caused by the hopper, so I didn't need to land my casts perfectly. The best casts still caught the biggest fish though.
These two little chunkers sipped the hopper off the surface. I missed one that was much larger, probably 16-17 inches. The first time he hit I simply missed him. The second time he hit I was talking to the wife when her eyes got really big. I turned around to see a big swirl, but I only felt a slight resistance when I set the hook. Numerous casts couldn't coax the beast to strike again.

 It was a fun little trip. I caught around 10 trout with a few decent ones mixed in. My confidence in tying with foam was boosted and now I'm excited to experiment more with the medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment