Saturday, November 19, 2011

Some New Fly Patterns...

Long time no fish. No bites on the job front either. I've spent the last two weeks applying to all kinds of different jobs and haven't found the time or energy to get out and fish in the snow. I've also been tying flies for sale and trying some new patterns for personal use. While researching different fishing options in northwestern Montana I came across a few references to huge pike, like over 30lbs, so I decided to try some pike patterns.

I'm not sure if these will work well but then again pike will hit anything! I tied the back fly first, then threaded a piece of wire through the eye. I tied the wire down to the front hook, then tied the front fly like normal. In theory this will allow the back half to swing back and forth. I think my next attempt in this style will be a sculpin. 
This is a new grasshopper pattern that I'm working on. I've seen a version of it online, but this one is all foam. The second picture is of the last thing a trout sees. 
 These guys are the same only green with ice dubbed bodies. These will be a cutthroats worst nightmare.
I tied up a few of these guys too. I really enjoy tying these foam hoppers and tying them myself saves a lot of money as they are kind of expensive to buy. After tying the minnow and hopper patterns I started researching some alpine lake patterns.
I've heard that hopper patterns can be effective at higher altitudes, but ant patterns often prove more effective. I need to pick up some red foam too! After perfecting my ant pattern I started working on some chironomid emergers. These tiny wet flies make up a good portion of the trouts diet and can be very effective on high altitude lakes.  I didn't take any pics of these but I'm sure they'll make an appearance here soon!

As for fishing, I hope to get out at least once this week if just to see how the minnow patterns act under water. Stay tuned, maybe I'll surprise a fish or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment