Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Trip Report: End of the Season

Today is the last day of the general fishing season on small streams here in Montana. To mark the occasion I decided to spend a short afternoon on the kayak. I headed to Foy Lake, a deep lake just outside of Kalispell. I've heard that this lake was good in the past, but has fallen off in the last few years.
My second cast enticed a beefy 15 or 16 inch rainbow from only a few feet off the shoreline. After I played him sufficiently I uncased my camera, turned it on, and tweaked the settings. As I raised the camera to snap the picture the fish gave a hard shake, undoing the hook, and swam away. This lake is around 150 feet deep at certain points and crystal clear. With deep drop offs and rocky shorelines this lake will definitely be on the list to check out when runoff has the rivers unfishable.

No comments:

Post a Comment