Sunday, May 27, 2012

Trip Report: Last Minute Ling Ling

So my brother and his girlfriend are in town for the Memorial Day weekend and expressed an interest in hooking up with a few fishies. The forecast has doomed the valley and surrounding mountains to a fate of wind, rain, and snow for the entirety of their visit, but upon their arrival the weather cleared; all except for the wind. They pulled in around 400 but with the resisting to set until around 10:00 we decided we had plenty of time to get out and do something. Glacier and a few of the surrounding lakes were options mulled over. Without a decisive one in the bunch I made the executive decision to head to a local lake (largely unknown) for its great populations of Arctic Grayling and Cutthroat Trout. By around 5:30 we got on the water and began casting. Of course I was the first to draw blood!
The brothers girlfriend then hooked into her first Grayling, a stout 13 or 14 incher. We fished shallow and were rewarded with many Grayling and a few Cutties. Then my wife pulled one in. During the excitement I hooked into another fish. He pulled and pulled leaving me believing I had hooked into a beast of a Grayling. But nope...
This 15 or 16 inch Cuttie is the biggest Cutthroat I've caught on the fly thus far! At this point The brothers girlfriend as well as my wife and I were out fishing my brother pretty bad. But I could see the gears turning in his head and eventually he began pulling them in at an astonishing pace.
While posting these pictures I realized we didn't get many of the bro with the ling ling. But yes, he did catch a load of 'em and a few little cutties. Before the end of the trip I also managed to hook into a beastly Grayling.
This guy sucked down a prince nymph and took off, but after a short lived battle he came to hand.
This guy too!

Gray hares ears, prince nymphs, and caddis dries were effective today as well as spinners. We'll have to see if we can't entice a few cutties on some alpine lakes if the weather clears.

No comments:

Post a Comment