Sunday, May 13, 2012

Trip Report: Montana Grayling

Today the wife and I headed out kayaking on one of only a few lakes in Montana that hold Arctic Grayling. They are not a trout but a char, like the Eastern Brook Trout. I've hit this lake once before with spinning gear and spotted many risers, but no takers. I've also never caught a Grayling before. Today was refreshingly different.
I caught a couple around 14 inches but most were right around this size. They leaped for a salad of midges and mayflies swarming near the surface, but were easily caught on a gray hares ear fished under a foam hopper. (lately I've had a lot of fish hit my indicator when nymph fishing so I use a foam hopper almost exclusively as my indicator.) 
Here's another mid sized fella. The way the blue comes out in their fins when under water does not compare to the picture.
The wife even got in on the fun! She caught three Grayling all on a dark little spinner. She missed a few other nibbles as well.
I  believe Montana is the only state in the lower 48 that still harbors the Arctic Grayling so this lake is a treat. Next week I won't be doing much fishing but I hope to return really soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment