Saturday, August 18, 2012

Hiking Report: Highline and Grinnel Lookout

Today I hiked the Highline Trail with a friend.
 Wildflowers carpeted the mountainsides. I found a few handfuls of Huckleberries too!
Notice where the chalet sits. From where we were standing the Garden Wall trail climbed steeply to the Grinnel Glacier overlook!
My friend didn't have the energy to get up here so I did it solo. I hiked up to the notch and up along the ridge line up to near the peak.
I met an older fella up there who challenged me to climb to the top of a peak along the ridge line. I declined, but got him to snag a photo for me before I made the climb down.
My back gave me some trouble earlier in the week so at this point I was hurtin'!
 Here you can see the Garden Wall Trail which led me to the Grinnel Overlook.
We hiked along the wall that spans the picture. The Overlook was a mile or so to the left of the picture. Today we parked at the Apgar Transit Station and took a free shuttle bus to Logan Pass. We hike the trail coming out at the Loop Trailhead. From here we caught a bus back to Apgar. It reduced wear on our vehicle and made the precarious ride easy. We never waited more than 15 min for a bus! I hiked a total of around 13 miles in just over five hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment