Saturday, August 18, 2012

Old Fishing Report: Flathead River

The water is still cold and the cutthroats are hungry! I've fished a number of times after work and when I can spare an hour over the past two weeks. I kayaked to a rock bar and tossed a big stimulator dry fly where the current broke behind the bar. Immediately a 15-18 inch cutthroat sucked down the fly. I set the hook and the line went slack. This happened four times in a row...

I did manage a stout 14 inch cuttie on Wednesday! He hit a stimi in another current seam. Each time I've been out I've missed a few really nice fish but I'm getting better at managing my line and it helps. I've still managed five or six smaller fish on average each time I've been out.

I'm sure i'll get back to more fishing as the weather cools and snow covers higher elevations, but for now it's all about the hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment