Sunday, August 7, 2011

Old Report: 6/26/11 Highwood Mountains

After a morning of shopping in Great Falls we spent the afternoon in the Highwood Mountains. We planned on hiking and a few casts along Cottonwood Creek. After a 45 minute drive on a lousy gravel road we got to Cottonwood Creek. Unfortunately the creek flowed over the road and the Saturn wasn't up for the challenge! We stopped and I took a few casts...no luck.
I've heard rumor of some dandy cutthroats a few miles further on this road so when we get a more capable vehicle I'll be back here. We turned around and found another forest service road leading to a trailhead. Thankfully, this trail also ran along a creek. This creek was shallow and rocky with a few deep plunge pools.
I love casting in tight quarters. It reminds me of fishing trout streams in Central Wisconsin. 

I ended up with four colorful brookies in an hour of hiking and fishing. The drive was treacherous, fishing was fine, the hike was good, but the scenery was spectacular!

No comments:

Post a Comment