Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Trip Report: This Must Be Like Fishing In Heaven

Today I hoped to get out after work but with storms in the forecast I wasn't sure it would happen. I don't mind a little rain but lightening always makes me nervous. I checked the radar at lunch at it looked like no lightening. As soon as I got home from work I checked again. No rain! I wasn't sure whether to trust that forecast as I approached the the foothills.
 Kind of interesting! I was planning on hiking a bunch to keep myself warm in case the rain came but seeing this made me stay close to the car. I parked next to the second bridge to the south and took a short walk down to the stream. I never fished this spot before but I've seen a car parked here a few times.
Like I said, close to the car! This area isn't quite into the mountains so instead of banks lined with trees, the banks are lined by shrubs and brush. Casting can be easier with long casting lanes, but any bend in the river puts shrubbery in your casting lane. As I haven't fished many areas like this I lost two flies, but I also caught a dozen or so rainbows.

 No notable catches today but the average size was a bit bigger. The biggest measured 13" but the average was probably around 11. After spending some time here and monitoring the skies I decided a trip to the canyons would keep me at a lower elevation in case storms rolled in. The view from where I parked inspired the title of this report.
The lake in the picture is locally referred to as second lake. The lake represents the point that divides the brookie filled headwaters with the rainbow laden lower river. The headwaters harbors a few rainbows as well and the lower stretches include a few brook and brown trout. Usually I don't venture too deep into the canyon because it isn't necessary to find fish, but today I felt adventurous. I also wanted to find a couple bigguns.
 I immediately caught five bows out of the first run I fished. With the clouds closing in I didn't need to sneak around. My casts fell heavy and my foot prints the same. In order to avoid dinks I tied on a big 'ol grasshopper imitation. I caught a couple chunky average sized ones but the bigger ones escaped me. After a few I headed back, my stomach growling. As I emerged from the canyon I turned around and looked at the mountains.
I really like this picture! It really captures the environment. After admiring the scenery I packed up and headed home. By the time I reached the park boundary I had already spotted a dozen mule deer. By the time I arrived at home I spotted a combined three dozen mule deer and antelope.

Stay Tuned: This weekend I'm headed to Glacier National Park and the Flathead River! (it snowed today in Glacier!)

No comments:

Post a Comment