Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Trip Report: A little rain never hurt nobody

Rain is never an excuse to change your plans, especially if those plans involve fishing! I checked the radar before I left today and saw a couple dark green blotches with some yellow in the middle. I'll fish in 100 degrees, extreme cold, snow, or pouring rain, but lightening makes me nervous. I decided to give it a shot. I hit a little rain on the drive but found bluebird skies over the canyons stretch of my home stream. After the 15 minute drive and a short hike I approached the nearest pool. I caught three quick bows on the old elk hair caddis when I heard a crack of lightening. After a few more casts I was in the middle of it. Rather than hike back to the car and risk a proper drenching I improvised.
Believe it or not this actually kept me dry! After a torrential downpour and some thunder I was back at it. I crawled up to the nearest riffle and lobbed the EHC into some slack water. It was instantly inhaled by this fella.
At about 14 inches he put up a great fight! After a few more casts I moved on to this pool where I caught about 15 more rainbows.
Today the big fish all came out of shallow riffles and undercut runs obstructed by overhanging brush.
This little stretch is loaded with little rainbows with a few bigguns mixed in. In some spots this run gets around 5 feet deep. Until mid-late summer this spot is pretty much inaccessible, but when runoff is done some pretty neat spots are opened up. I caught a few around 14-16 inches, but there must be a few Goliaths in here too!

There's nothing like catching a big 'ol trout on a dry fly! Last time I was in the canyons I caught around fifty bows, with only about 10 being wild. Today most were wild with only 3 or 4 being stockers! 
Overall it was a great trip. I managed to stay relatively dry and I caught a boat load of fish! It's days like this that keep me coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment