Monday, August 29, 2011

Trip Report: A New Fly Fisherman in The Canyons

Today I drove to the mountains right after work. I wasn't planning on getting out because the forecast looked bad but I emerged from work to see sunny skies filled with poofy clouds. I headed to the canyons where I hoped to find a hatch. About three miles from my destination I spotted a biker who looked familiar. It was one of my friends headed north towards town. I pulled over and asked him if he was up for some fishing to which he responded, "Lets go!" We packed his bike into the car and headed for the canyons.
I took a few casts in a spot where I hoped to scare up a few bigguns, but I had little luck. I cast into a shallow riffle, my fly landing close to shore. I swung the caddis pattern under some stream side brush and my line went stiff. I set the hook, fought the fish, and posed for a picture.
This big 'ol mid teens rainbow was a great way to start out the outing! From that spot we continued up to a few pools. Ever pool brimmed with hungry rainbows with the occasional brookie. I took a few casts in order to demonstrate some basic casting concepts. While not trying to catch fish I hooked into a few nice bows!
I tried to teach my friend how to cast and after a few hours of fishing he became proficient.
 He ended the day with around ten fish. Not to bad for his second time out! With all of the learning going on I felt like I had to practice up lest the student become the teacher. I made a few tight casts and worked on really long casts.
 After some good practice we came upon the last pool in the canyons. A massive pale evening dun hatch erupted as soon as the sun slipped behind the hills. The fish didn't seem to care what fly we tossed so we stuck with the deer hair caddis. (actually, we used a mangled fly that I had retired) After a few casts in this pool we headed back to the car satisfied by the good fishing but eager to get out for more.


No comments:

Post a Comment