Sunday, October 30, 2011

Trip Report: Bow Hunting Season

Today I decided to make the last trip to my home stream before the move to Kalispell. I wanted to catch a brookie, brown, and rainbow, but after striking out at my brown trout spots I decided to explore some new spots. I want to feel like I left no stone unturned. The first new spot I wanted to check out lay just off the road in the foothills. I geared up and hopped in, immediately scaring a few dozen undersized bows. I pulled out a few smaller ones and this very colorful cuttbow.
After catching a few more fish in this area I moved on to a spot that I always wanted to explore. I moved the car a few hundred yards up the road and began wading toward a spot where I knew a waterfall burst out of the canyons. I found one spot that could have held a fish or two so I took a cast.
 This beautiful bow took a sunken October caddis. With nowhere to run he came to hand with little fuss. After a few quick pics he was released and I was back at it. The beaver dam forced me out of the stream so I continued by way of the North Central Montana wasteland.
Cactus! I can say I lived in a desert! I carefully continued until I reached the falls.
This beautiful spot gave up many trout, but only one of note.
This bow came right out of the main current. After a few casts I decided to head toward the headwaters in search of some cuttbows. I only found one cuttbow and a few tiny brookies.
 This little guys colors shined brightly in the shade and sun! After some hiking I decided to call it a day. As I drove home the skies clouded up and I decided to try one more spot. This spot is a little raceway fed by ice cold water from the bottom of a reservoir. The raceway is only around two hundred yards long, but it's home to hundreds of trout. I approached my spot as the winds began to whip and swirl. Casting was difficult but with low light I didn't need to be too careful.

These were the bigguns but I managed well over 75 fish in just over an hour. I got hits on almost every cast. Most were only nine or ten inches long but it was apparent this spot hasn't been fished all summer. A little rain started to fall and I decided to head home. Overall it was a great trip and I had a great spring, summer, and fall exploring the fishing opportunities north central Montana offers. I can't wait to explore north western MT!

No comments:

Post a Comment