Sunday, October 16, 2011

Trip Report: A Sunday Drive

After the Packers game the wife and I decided to go for a little Sunday drive. I wanted to explore a stretch of a river that runs along my route to F-Reservoir. I wasn't sure if I could fish any of the water as there is barbed wire at all the bridge crossings. I found two spots on the road side of the fence were the river meandered through.
At the first spot, a bridge crossing with ample public space, I parked and peered over the guardrail into the clear water. I immediately spotted three nice brookies just relaxing in a brief pool. I immediately cast my rainbow warrior into the brush and snapped it on the back cast. Now in my haste I only brought my rod to the bridge. I had to turn around for my vest which as I neared the car, realized was hanging on my tying chair at home. The wife and I rifled through the car in search of flies. We found an empty box and one with a san juan worm in it. I tied on the san juan and chucked it under the bridge from which I stood.
Right away I pulled out two!

The first one tore up the thread on the san juan worm, probably because I didn't put clear hardener over it. I tied the chenille to the hook and caught the other. I just pulled 'em up, snapped a few pictures, and released 'em. Then on to a spot higher in the mountains.
 I pulled a few brookies out of here and focused on the heads of the riffles to see if any rainbows call this beautiful spot home.

 The bottom one fought pretty good. After a half hour of fishing this spot we turned around.
Overall it was a great little trip. Wifey and I drove through beautiful scenery, caught some beautiful fish, and got to spend some quality time together. 

When I got home I took some pictures of a few midges and a fly box that I put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment