Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Trip Report: Over the Rainbow

Today I decided to head to a spot close to home for a few a quick fishin' trip. I only fished for about 45 minutes but I managed a few nice fish. 
Lately I've really liked this view of the mountains. I got to the fishing spot and the clouds had closed in. This spot is full of quick current and tight casting lanes so I shortened my leader and tried a hopper. I missed a few hits and switched to an orange deer hair caddis. I immediately pulled out a post spawn brown.
He put up a decent fight. Imagine if he had a little more weight on him! Around the next bend I hooked into this fat rainbow. He sipped the caddis from about two inches under the surface.
This fish probably would measure around 14 inches. The picture doesn't do him justice. I continued to a spot where the water flows off of a gravel shelf, plunging into a sandy pool punctuated by thickly hanging tree roots. I cast the fly across the current and sunk it into the roots. This pretty brown came out of nowhere to take the fly.
I continued on to a deep pool which was nearly inaccessible with the fly. I roll cast over a logjam to the foot of some overhanging tree roots. Immediately a vibrant rainbow took the caddis.
Look at those rosie cheeks!
My final catch, another skinny brown, also slurped the caddis. He put up a pretty good fight and when I got him in I took a moment to admire him. At the time I didn't even notice the wound just below the fishes tail. I wonder what got him. Another good day of fishing...

No comments:

Post a Comment