Saturday, October 8, 2011

Trip Report: Leaky Waders and Birthday Trout

The wife decided she would like to join me for a trout adventure this afternoon for my birthday, which was yesterday. We sustained less  than an inch of rain in the last few days, but high temperatures also dropped thirty degrees. I new fishing would be tough and I've been putting off replenishing my fly boxes until the snow flies. I had to adapt a few times, but I ended up catching some nice rainbows.

 I started with a cone headed sculpin fly. I caught a few average rainbows and brought a few curious beasts out from the depths, but the sculpin failed to provoke any big ones.
I have brought this rainbow out a few times in the last three months but I never hooked him. Today I got him on the bead headed prince nymph. My line was terribly tangled and I had to keep him out of some stream side brush. I steered him away and he was brought in easily.
I managed to hook into a few browns but they kept spitting the hook. I landed one nice one.
Overall it was a great day of fishing. I started with the sculpin. I had to switch after I lost the last one. I tried the hopper and received a few half hearted strikes. I then tried a pheasant tail nymph under an indicator, my least favorite way to fish. I then switched to a bead headed prince nymph and had great luck. It was nice to fish in a different style and find success.
 Go Brewers!

No comments:

Post a Comment