Thursday, October 13, 2011

Trip Report: A Few More Fall Brookies

Tonight I climbed the naked foothills into a kind of intermediate area of my mountains for some fall brookie action.
Lately I've been finding this spot more and more beautiful. I fished the river as it flowed through an intermediate area between the foothills and the taller, more tree covered peaks. It runs cold and fertile in summer and considerably more sterile in the winter. I have a feeling that most of the stocker brookies don't last through the winter. I rarely spot forage darting around the heads of riffles. It is the hatches that make this river so great. Today I used the trusty deer hair caddis but spotted many small midges rising off the surface. I encountered fish rising sporadically but found most of my success sinking the fly. I didn't catch a ton but I found a few quality fish.
I pulled this one out within five minutes of arriving. I had to experiment with the camera a little so I got some neat pictures of this guy.

The bottom picture was taken with the flash on. I like how it turned out! This was the best fish of the day. I did hook into a few others with nice colors but the pictures didn't turn out great.
After a few of these I decided to call it a day. I hope to get out a few more times after work but the days are getting shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment